4.07.2010

We can read!

We go in the car.
My mom is not fat.
I am a cat.
I can see you.

These are just some of the things that my students can read now! It's so great. I was very excited today because my afternoon class was reading every word I put on the board. Okay so not like supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, but words  like cat, dad, mom, and dog. It was so exciting to write a sentence and hear them read it out loud to me.

The best part of it all? When I stood in front of them and told them "You can read! You can read! People who read can be whatever they want to be! You are so smart! Soon you will be able to do whatever you want to do." and then Donald can up and wrapped his little arms around my leg and nuzzled his nose into it, followed by Adam, then Madison, Danielle, Bethia, and before I knew it I was smothered by 4-year-olds as we shared a class hug to celebrate our new found success as a class.

They drive me slightly insane some days.
They don't use inside voices.
They sneeze boogers all over my arms.
They eat mysterious objects off the floor.
The bite each other.
They cry over snacks.
They smell a little odd sometimes.
They are beginning to read.
No matter what they could ever do I don't think I could love them any less. I am so proud of the many amazing things that they can do.
Today was a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment